Разработка урока английского языка "The Commonwealth of Australia" 11 класс
КГУ «Средняя школа №7» акимата г.Усть-Каменогорска
Разработка урока английского языка
в 11 классе
«The Commonwealth of Australia»
учитель английского языка
Ананьева Оксана Николаевна
г. Усть -Каменогорск
Theme: The Commonwealth of Australia.
Grade: the 11-th form
The aims of the lesson:
Educational: students must be able to expand the geographic and encyclopedic knowledge about Australia.
Developing: students must be able to develop skills of monologue speech, listening Comprehension.
Up-bringing: students must be able to form the skill to work in a team, to increase the motivation to study subjects, show practical importance of obtained knowledge; to bring up respect to the facts of the foreign language culture, way of life in the country of the target language.
The type of the lessons: lesson of getting new information
Visual aids: multimedia projector, computer, video “Australia”, list of evaluation, map, text, presentation, test.
Connection with other subjects: Geography, History
The procedure of the lesson:
Organization Stage. Physical Warm –up.
Listening to Comprehension.
History of Australia.
The east coast of Australia was discovered by Captain James Cook in 1770. It was used as a colony for convicts. The early settlers were very cruel to the aborigines. The discovery of gold in 1851 brought many people to Australia. At the end of the 19th century, the Australian colonies began to discuss some form of union. They formed a federation. The new constitution was introduced on January 1, 1901; and the birth of the new nation was celebrated.
Retelling the text, using the method “Snowball”.
1. The east coast of Australia was discovered…
2. It was used as…
3. The early settlers were…
4. The discovery of gold…
5. At the end of the 19th century…
6. They formed…
7. The new constitution was introduced…
8. And the birth of the new nation…
III. Definition of objectives.
Watch the video and determine the theme and aims of the lesson.
What is the theme of our lesson?
What are we going to speak about?
What are we going to study?
1. Geographical Position
3. Big cities, territories, population
5. Political system
IV. The presentation of the new material.
the Pacific Ocean
the Indian Ocean
the House of Representatives
Group work. Working with the text.
Task 1: -Choose the topic you will study (1. Geographical Position, 2. Climate, 3. Big cities, territories, population, 4. Industry, 5. Political system)
. Sit down with the students who will study the same topic. Study your topic.
- Return to your group and tell your classmates about your topic.
“Jigsaw” (students in 5 groups study their topic, then they return to their group and explain the material of their topic, the rest complete the chart)
1. The Commonwealth of Australia is situated in the south-west of the Pacific Ocean, occupying the continent of Australia and a great number of islands of which Tasmania is the most important. Australia is a continent-island washed by the Indian and the Pacific Oceans.
2. The country consists of 6 (six) states and 2 (two) territories. 16 million people live in Australia. The capital is Canberra. The official language is English. There are 5 (five) big cities in Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane. These cities are also the country's main ports.
3. The Commonwealth of Australia is a self-governing federal state. Formally the head of the state is the king or queen of England represented by the Governor-General. The Federal Parliament consists of the Senate and the House of Representatives. The federal government of the country is headed by the Prime Minister.
4. Australia has several different climatic regions, from warm to subtropical and tropical. The winds from the sea bring heavy rainfalls, especially in tropical summer. The climate in the west is very dry and more than half of Australia gets very little rain. In the south-west and east the winds bring rain in winter.
5. Australia is rich in minerals, which are mined in different parts of the country. Australia is an important producer and exporter of primary products: wool, meat, sugar, coal, iron, copper, lead, gold and so on. Agriculture is the main occupation in the country. Wheat is grown in the south.
Task 2: -Complete the chart (in groups):
Big cities, territorial division, population
Task 3: Answer my questions:
1. Where is Australia situated?
2. What islands does it occupy?
3. What Oceans is it washed by?
4. What is the capital of Australia?
5. What are the big cities?
6. What is the population?
7. What is its territorial division?
8. What is the climate?
9. What is the Federal Parliament consists of?
10. Who represents the Queen of England?
Task 4: make a poster “Australia” (in groups).
-Let’s listen to the groups.
-Tell some words about projects.
-Put down the marks to the opposite groups in the list of evaluation.
| || || || |
| || || || |
| || || || |
| || || || |
1. Australia is a continent-island washed by …
a) the Indian and the Pacific Oceans b) the Indian c) the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean
2. The country consists of … states and … territories
a) five / three b) two / six c) six / two
3. The capital is …
a) Sydney, b) Melbourne c) Canberra
4. Who represents the Queen of England?
a) Prime Minister b) Governor-General c) President
5. The Federal Parliament consists of …
a) the Senate and the House of Representatives b) the House of Representatives and the House of Commons c) the House of Commons and the Senate
6. What is the population of Australia?
a) 18 million people b) 23 million people c) 16 million people
7. … is the main occupation in the country
a) agriculture b) industry c) tourism
Keys: 1 –a, 2-c, 3- c, 4- b, 5-a, 6- c, 7- a
V. Evaluation. Reflection.
VI. Homework: learn lexics by heart, be ready to speak about Australia
Список использованной литературы
1. Старков А.П., Островский Б.С. Учебник английского языка the 7-th Year– М.: ООО «Издательство АСТ», 1999.
Использованные материалы и Интернет-ресурсы